For the month of August, I am thrilled to feature a blogger who I came to meet through an online forum. In just a few months, we have gone from wondering "what if" to knowing our fate - that we have both been accepted to medical schools in Canada. With an honours B.Sc degree, she is not only bright, but passionate about fashion. Learn more about Cass's journey through medicine, and her style choices along the way, at her blog:
|Grab her button!|
I am honoured to feature Cass on "Secret Life of a Med Student."
Hi everyone! I was very honoured when Cerena asked me if I would like to be a guest blogger this month and even more ecstatic when she requested me to do a post on city fashion for the fall. Having lived in metropolitan Toronto practically all my life, I've had the opportunity to be exposed to not only a plethora of cuisines, culture, and people, but to a wide range of fashion as well! Fall is one of my favourite seasons as it is not too cold nor too warm and it provides the perfect weather to wear many different outfits! In this post, I'll be featuring what I consider to be essential pieces for a fall wardrobe. I'm the type of girl that loves to experiment with different colours, textures, patterns, and styles so hopefully my post will help you ladies in having more ideas for building up your own fall collection. Let's begin!
Fall City Fashion: Outerwear
I believe that every girl should have AT LEAST 3 out of the 4 jackets pictured above as these outerwear pieces are so versatile and can be either dressed up or down depending on the occasion and weather.
1. Leather Jacket - These types of jackets are perfect for the beginning of fall when the weather hasn't gotten too cold. They not only make one's outfit look more sophisticated but it also gives that sense of "edginess" and "oomph" to an outfit which I love.
2. Trench Coat - I love trench coats because I can wear them early on in the fall as well as in the spring making these types of coats a worthwhile investment. Furthermore, you can pair trench coats with anything! Going to school? No problem! Pair the coat with a nice top, jeans, and flats. Got an important business meeting? Pair it with a nice blouse, pencil skirt, and heels. Did that cute guy just ask you on a date? Pair it with your favourite cocktail dress, heels, and accessories!
3. Cloak - Another type of outerwear that I really love is the cloak. These tend to be a bit more dressier than the previous two pieces and might not be as "convenient" to wear as the other two. However, I love the structure of this type of cloak because not only does it provide warmth but it really makes a statement amongst all the other jackets. You may decide to wear this to dinner on a cool autumn's night with your partner or maybe for a walk in the park under the changing colours of autumn leaves. Either way, you're bound to look elegant and sophisticated when donning this type of outerwear.
4. Blazer - I'm pretty sure that most women have some sort of a blazer in their closet. These are so versatile and can be easily paired with any outfit for any occasion.
Fall City Fashion: Knitwear
5. Knit T-Shirts: In my honest opinion, I think these are the perfect transitional piece from the end of summer into early fall because you still have the freedom of exposing your arms on those hotter days and yet, keeping yourself warm during the cooler evenings. I picked this particular type of knit t-shirt for its femininity as shown through the black lace as well as the gorgeous green colour.
6 + 7. Cardigans: The perfect knit piece to put together an outfit. Just throw it over any shirt, and you've created a whole other look! What's great about cardigans is that they're really lightweight so you can easily take them on or off depending on the weather/temperature.
8. Turtleneck Sweaters: If there's one thing that I love, it would be turtleneck sweaters AND belled sleeves. The extra detailing and construction of the sleeves completely revamps the sweater in my opinion and converts it from something boring and conventional to a shirt that's a lot more "romantic" and "feminine".
Fall City Fashion: Tops
1. Blouse: If you refer to my post on my Fashion Obsessions, you'll see that I love silk blouses. They are soft and very comfortable to wear. Chartreuse is a popular colour for this fall season, hence my selection of this particular blouse. I think that the bow in the front adds a very nice feminine and romantic touch to the blouse and is perfect for an office look or even for a day working in the clinic.
2. 3/4 Sleeve Top: What I adore about these types of tops is that not only are they a great transition piece from the end of summer going into fall but the length of the sleeves is high above the wrist (but low enough on the elbows) that you are able to really show off some arm candy (refer to my picks on Fall City Fashion: Accessories). Furthermore, the boat neck on this top really gives it that casual vibe and the overall bagginess of the shirt really makes it comfortable to wear
3. Plaid Shirts: What I like about plaid shirts is that they're my go-to-shirt when I have nothing else to wear. I sometimes wear these shirts just by themselves or style them as a light "jacket" with a fun t-shirt underneath.
4. Polka Dots: What's not to love about polka dots? I think they're just so cute and when done in the right colour and size, they can really complete a look. I love this particular polka dot top because the dots don't overwhelm the shirt and the nice ribbon and bow detailing along the collar really adds a feminine touch.
Fall City Fashion: Bottoms
5+8. Skirts: The skirt you see in #5 is one that's made out of wool and is a piece that I would wear when the weather is becoming a bit cooler. I love the forest green and black colour combination in the skirt and would pair it with dark stockings (ex: black, brown, or even burgundy) and a pair of knee high heeled boots. The pencil skirt in #8 is such a classic piece as it really defines a woman's waistline and just makes the bottom half of your body look very sleek. The beige-brown colour enables one to pair this skirt with any coloured top.
6. Skinny Jeans: It took me awhile to get used to wearing skinny jeans simply because I thought I couldn't pull it off. Then, I found the perfect fit for me at Aeropostale and I haven't looked back ever since! These are my go-to jeans for everyday wear.
7. Straight Leg Jeans: I own a pair of dark washed straight leg jeans that I was able to get on sale at Banana Republic and they are one of the most comfortable pair of jeans I own. With these types of jeans, I feel that they can give the illusion of lengthening your legs. Pair it with any kind of a heel and you are bound to look fantastic!
Fall City Fashion: Shoes
1. Leather Boots: These are the Ramona Tall Boots from La Canadienne that I purchased last Christmas and can I just say that they are THE most comfortable boots I've ever worn. What I really love about this boot is the fact that it's made out of genuine leather and that it has a mid-rise heel which makes it very easy and comfortable to walk and stand in for long periods of time. Furthermore, they provide great warmth for my feet!
2. Ankle Boots: These beauties are from Christian Dior and I just love the militaristic feel to this boot. I think these would look great whether you are wearing it with your skinny jeans or skirt. The dark brown colour also perfectly blends into this fall's colour palette.
3. Flats: I'm pretty much on my feet every day and thus having comfortable shoes that won't make my feet or back ache is very important. Thus, I'm definitely incorporating these shoes into my fall wardrobe!
4. Black Heels: Most of my heels are black simply because I think it goes with everything. Having a comfortable black heel (I don't go above 4 inches) is essential to any wardrobe because honestly, no one wants to look like a penguin teetering down the street right? I find that black heels are so versatile as I can pair them with jeans, dresses, or skirts.
Fall City Fashion: Accessories
If there's something else I love more than buying clothes and shoes, it's buying accessories to go along with my outfits. I think that every girl needs some kind of a shoulder bag to complete her fall wardrobe. For a city girl like me, I'm often running all over the place - whether it's school, work, or meeting up with friends, a shoulder bag is the perfect size and weight for me to carry all of my essential items. Since fall tends to be chilly, I recommend a knit beret and a cute scarf (#3 and #4) to complement your outfit. I've seen so many gorgeous styles for these two types of accessories that they can easily transform a dull outfit into something more chic. Now, if you're the kind of girl that tends to prefer monochromatic tops with not a lot of detailing, I would suggest some statement jewellery such as the ones shown above. The triangle necklace is particularly popular this season as I've seen it in various magazines. Lastly, to keep your hands warm during this season, may I suggest leather gloves? I find leather gloves add a sense of sophistication and elegance to any outfit and since they tend to be well fitted, I never have to fumble with the items I'm holding (unlike when I'm wearing mittens or those thick winter gloves).
I hope you've enjoyed reading this post as much as I enjoyed putting it together! Hopefully, the picks I've made in regards to various fall essentials have given you some ideas on what to add to your fall wardrobe wishlist! Feel free to let me know what you guys think about these picks - I would also love to hear what your fall essential "must-haves" are as well!
A big thanks to Cerena for allowing me to share my "passion for fashion" with you readers!